Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Feliz dia de amor y amistad! (by EDF)





Compatriots! Thanks for reading. Friday was a fun day- in the morning we participated in the a meditation and relaxion group, led by the clinic psychologist. It was me, KRF, and five ladies more or less in their 50s. I enjoyed the breathing exercises and as much of the imagery exercise as I understood (it definitely involved imagining yourself at the beach!). We also did a progressive relaxation exercise, which I am used to doing in yoga class or something where you are lying down- it was a little challenging while sitting in a chair. Again, a great stress-reliever and service for the patients here!

In the afternoon we went with two health educators to do a charla about HIV and STIs (VIH and ITS en espanol) for a group of policemen. They were, understandably, a bit embarrassed and shy at first, but really opened up as the talk went on. When we got back to the clinic, the office Valentine's Day party was in full swing. Before coming to El Salvador, KRF and I had wondered whether they celebrate V Day here- silly us!! It is a much bigger deal here than in the U.S. as far as I can tell. At the clinic there was a sort of secret santa gift exchange, lots of other small gifts, tipico treats, and hot chocolate. The day is called a day of love and friendship- nice that they emphasize friendship just as much. The kids in the family had parties at school, and card and gift exchanges too.

In the evening we went out with the family to... Galaxy Bowling!!! As this is one of my favorite activities with my American family, I was extremely excited. And boy was it fun- pizza and bowling for all. Dr. M and Dr. F both cleaned up at different times, and the girls were incredible with the way they used the bumper fences- C. could hit the fence on both sides just so and get a strike or knock the rest down for a spare. And X. got better and better as the night went on. KRF and I practiced some different bowling strategies, and overall did pretty well. It was a fun night!

Saturday was actually Valentine's Day. KRF and I unexpectedly got the chance to go to a museum of El Salvadorian art, M.A.R.T.E., and we had an awesome time. I will post some pictures a bit later. A lot of paintings about the civil war, and a great photograpy exhibit mainly of photos taken in Guatemala in the 1940s through 1970s. It was also gorgeous weather- sunny and blue sky with breezes.

2 comments:

  1. I figured out how to comment. We'll have to go to Rock and bowl when you get back

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool! I wish there was a better place in NOLA to bowl though (without a cover...)- maybe in Metairie?

    ReplyDelete